Best Smartwatch for Seniors
Nowadays, technology is part of our lives and it can perform lots of tricks to help us and our loved ones, especially seniors. Purchasing a smartwatch is a great choice. Older people need extra support, attention and security. Some smartwatches don’t even require to have a smartphone. They are easy to carry since they tie around your wrist and will be with you at all times.
You can’t drop them or lose them. Elders will find them useful, as they allow them to search the internet with their voice, track their location with GPS and make phone calls. In emergencies, alerting the family or call centers will become way easier. They can also set reminders and the smartwatch will take care of their agenda.
Here is a list of what we consider to be the best smartwatches for seniors and elders, followed by more advice on what to look for when buying one.
- 1 Best Smartwatches for Seniors
- 2 CPR Guardian II Smartwatch
- 3 Apple Watch Series 5
- 4 Huawei Honor Magic Watch 2
- 5 Matrix PowerWatch 2
- 6 Letsfit Smart Watch
- 7 FITVII Smart Watch
- 8 Laxcido Smartwatch
- 9 Naturehike GPS Smart
- 10 How to buy a smartwatch for seniors
- 11 How many years does a smartwatch last?
- 12 Are cheap smartwatches any good?
- 13 Do smartwatches drain the phone battery?
- 14 Are smartwatches dangerous?
- 15 Do smartwatches give off radiation?
- 16 Is it bad to wear a smartwatch all the time?
- 17 Can smartwatches be hacked?
Best Smartwatches for Seniors
CPR Guardian II Smartwatch
CPR Guardian II Smartwatch’s number one priority is user’s safety. It allows them to be active as much as they want. The feeling of being independent and secure is very important to old people, as well as for their family.
GPS Location Tracker – This feature will provide live exact location and will help us find the person in case of emergency.
SOS Button – There is no need of mobile phone! The wearer can call a relative, carer or telecare service by pressing the SOS button.
2 Way Calling – This service facilitate voice calls and voice messages with friends and family almost everywhere in the world, without the need of an actual mobile phone.
Heart Rate Monitor – The wearer’s heart rate will be monitored and the information directly sent to the CPR Guardian II App. The APP administrators will receive a warning in case of abnormal heart beats.
- Works even with 2G internet.
- Help desk is reliable and has received positive feedback from the customers.
- Good design and easy to use.
- This smartwatch requires a SIM card
- Too masculine in appearance for the ladies.
- The sound quality may not be the best.
- Problems may arise regarding the battery’s life
Apple Watch Series 5
If you are an iPhone user this may be a good choice. It has a generous screen size of 1.57 inches, 324 x 394 resolution with a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch. It supports different activities trackers and provide useful reports that can be used to improve your lifestyle.
The device supports Wi Fi 4 and it is compatible with all iOS devices but unfortunately as all Apple series it is not compatible with Android and Windows devices.
- Always-On Retina display – You can always see the time and your watch face.
- Heart Rate Checks
- Alerts you when the sound is too loud and affects your hearing.
- Tracks your cycle and your fitness workouts.
- You can listen to the entire Apple Music Library, podcasts and audiobooks.
- There are many apps available to download from the app store.
- Make and respond to calls and messages without reaching your phone.
- Apple Pay – paying contactless with your watch.
- Extraordinary beautiful design
- Light design that ensures comfortable wearing
- Big display
- Voice commands
- Can be used to answer calls.
- Increased security due to its passcode
- 32 GB internal storage
- Short battery life, especially using Always-On feature.
- No alerts for heart attacks.
- It can be pricey for some people.
Huawei Honor Magic Watch 2
Huawei Honor is a very light watch weighting only 29 grams with a thickness below average measuring just 10.7mm. It is suitable for seniors and elders as it is easy to use and it has heart rate monitor and it is able to monitors blood oxygenation level. It supports both Android and iOS devices and it is able to receive notifications and answer calls.
- Heart Rate Monitor
- GPS + Glonass
- 15 Fitness Modes
- Alarm Clock
- Bluetooth Music and Calls
- Large high-quality screen
- Water resistant
- Its dials are replaceable.
- Does not supports Windows devices
- Does not have voice commands
Matrix PowerWatch 2
Matrix PowerWatch 2 distinguishes itself from other watches with its way to recharge its battery as it is by using body heat and solar power, therefore running out of battery is very unlikely. It has a sturdy and durable built, not only that it is sweat resistant, dustproof and water resistant with a huge waterproof depth rate (200M) it also has a sapphire crystal glass display that is the second durable material.
- This smartwatch is powered by you using your body heat to charge it and solar power for added boost to battery life sustainability.
- 200M waterproof depth rating
- Built-in GPS
- Multiple trackers that provides accurate reports
- You don’t need charging cables ever again.
- It’s not only waterproof, but water resistant up to 200 M (656 ft)
- Compatible with iPads and tablets
- Does not support call control and cannot be used to answer calls
- No alarm, reminders and notifications until the next update.
- Temperatures above 90 F may stop it from charging.
- It doesn’t have any storage other than fitness tracking information
Letsfit Smart Watch
An unisex smartwatch that has a modern design suitable for different types of styles, from sport clothing to elegant clothing. Its compatibility with several devices both Android and iOS and due to its easy to use interface makes it a perfect fit for seniors.
- It monitors your health: step and calories burned counter, sport mileage and sleep, even stress training.
- Call control and notification system
- Music Player
- Wide screen size with full touchscreen supported
- 10 days battery life per full charge
- User-friendly design
- No GPS
- No weather information
- You may have problems with receiving notifications
FITVII Smart Watch
FITVII smart watch has a long battery life that require only 2 hours of charging every 3 to 7 days (depends on usage). It can be a good choice for seniors as it can last for up to 7 days and its tracker’s reports can have a high impact on their health.
- IP68 Waterproof Touch Screen that supports swimming and all kinds of water activities.
- Blood Pressure Heart Rate Monitor with Running Pedometer Step Counter Sleep Tracker
- While exercising, it records all sports data
- GPS, stopwatch, pedometer, timer
- Special and high-quality visual experience.
- Long battery life
- A full charge (2h) could hold for 3-7 days.
- 24h customer service
Many users seem to have problems when they are involved in activities such as swimming.
A perfect fit for seniors and elders that have health problems due to it SOS button that serves to quick call family members in case of emergency. It also has real time tracker and historical route tracker that makes it easy to set new routes for exercising. Laxcido Smartwatch provides sleep tracking and step and burnt calories counter that helps you in monitories your health.
Phone call and SOS emergency call
Connection to Wi-Fi
Low battery alarm
2 Way Call communication
Geo-fence for places like Home, School, etc. The app sends a notification if the device has travelled outside that location and if they come back into it.
You can track all the places the GPS holder has been to in the past 3 months.
Apps and monitoring
You don’t need to connect it to your phone
Good tech support
The battery life can be improved if the tracking frequency is changed to 10 min or 1 hour.
GPS detector not accurate at all times.
Short battery life if the tracking frequency is set to 1 min.
Needs a SIM card
Naturehike GPS Smart
Naturehike is a multi functional watch that supports multi sports mode, sleep tracking, heart rate monitor, step counter, calories burned counter, and it also has speed and cadence monitor.
- Fitness smartwatch with heart rate, blood pressure and sleep monitor, GPS tracker, step counter, calories burned counter, weather forecast and sleep status.
- Multi-function smartwatch: Social media apps like Facebook, Whatsapp, also Email and MSM and other applications.
- This watch will record your daily activities and help you improve your health. It will also keep you in touch with all your friends and family providing call message alerts and message reading.
- It is soft and comfortable to wear, without any foreign body sensation.
- You cannot send messages through the watch.
- In order to work properly, your smartwatch has to be connected to your phone.
- The quality of the sound may not be the best.
How to buy a smartwatch for seniors
The best product for you, may be different from the best product for you friend, for example. You will want to select the best watch that suits your needs. As we saw earlier, there is a wide range of watches, each one with its own features and flaws.
You will have to decide if you want to purchase such a product for entertainment or for fitness and health.
If you want to listen to your favourite music, pick up calls, install apps or pay contactless, the best choice will be one of the Apple products, but you can check the options for better prices, also the compatibility must be checked, as Apple products works only with Apple devices.
In terms of fitness, PowerWatch 2 could be the best choice. Expensive, but it is worth the money.
Another thing that you make take in consideration when purchasing a smartwatch is whether it has 2G or 3G connectivity. If you live in America, it is worth knowing that AT&T turned off its 2G GSM network in 2017, leaving T-Mobile as the only 2G provider.
No matter what smartwatch you will buy, seniors will prefer them over a phone. Smartphones are very tricky for old people, since they need a lot of precision. Also, they will forget to keep their smartphones around, but this problem will disappear once you purchase a smartwatch.
How many years does a smartwatch last?
Take in consideration that electronics are like many other items we buy. The more you use them, the shorter their life will be. Very roughly, they last as much as a smartphone, so 2 to 3 years on average.
Are cheap smartwatches any good?
If you are looking for a smartwatch on budget, there are plenty of options. They offer the same key features as the expensive ones, although there will be differences. You need to decide on the things you really need from a smartwatch. Will all the features that expensive watches have be helpful for you? Or will you use just some basic services that all smartwatches provide? If so, it’s good to know that cheap smartwatches are good too.
Do smartwatches drain the phone battery?
The times when your smartphone is syncing with your smartwatch or updating, it uses battery. But it does not drain your battery life.
Are smartwatches dangerous?
Having an electronical device in direct contact with your body, such as a smartwatch is not likely to be harmful. The concerning part is related to security matters, meaning that your device may be hacked.
Do smartwatches give off radiation?
It is well known that all electronics emit a small amount of radiation, including phones and smartwatches. The radiation is called Electro-Magnetic Frequency (EMF) and may also be described as interference. Low-level radiation, also called non-ionizing radiation, is mild and thought to be harmless to people. Appliances like microwave ovens, cell phones, Wi-Fi routers, as well as power lines and MRIs, send out low-level radiation.
Is it bad to wear a smartwatch all the time?
It is known that all technology emits a small amount of radiation exposing us during use. That’s true of everything from TVs and headphones to electronic-toys. That means that it may be entirely possible the technology is causing harm to our bodies which will not be evident until many years from now. Even then, the only way to know for sure will be to conduct various studies and investigations which will be up to the scientific community.
Can smartwatches be hacked?
A team of security experts at Sophos researched this problem and found out that it is perfectly possible for smartwatches to be hacked. In order to keep your smartwatch as protected as possible, you have to make sure to change your unlock code frequently. Updating the software whenever they release a new version plays an important role in security and maintenance.